The Problem - Human Trafficking Statistics
- There are at least 40.3 million human trafficking victims globally
- 54% of human trafficking victims are sex trafficking victims
- Slavery generates an estimated $150 billion each year
- Human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world - only second to drug trafficking.
- Sex trafficking is when someone uses force, lies or intimidation to cause another person to perform a commercial sex act.
- The majority of sexual slaves are women and girls.
- Victims of sexual slavery may be falsely promised jobs, forced into sexual slavery by a family member or someone they are romantically involve with, or kidnapped.
- Slavery turns people into property. It uses violence, threats, and lies to capture people and keep them silent and obedient. No place is exempt from its presence, and it’s often hidden in plain sight. Sexual slavery turns people's bodies into commodities and denies them their most basic human rights.
- Slavery exists because people created it and have perpetuated it, but together, we can end it.